Yarra Glen is a town in Victoria, Australia, 40 km north-east from Melbourne's central business district. Its local government area is the Shire of Yarra Ranges. At the 2011 census, Yarra Glen had a population of 2,611.
The Ryrie brothers (William, James and Donald) were the first Europeans to settle in the area, when they established the 43,000 acres (170 km2) Yering run in 1837 after droving their cattle to the area from NSW. The brothers planted the first grape vines in the Yarra Valley in 1838 and produced their first wine in 1845. Joseph Furphy, often regarded as the father of the Australian novel, was born on the station in 1843.
The Post Office opened on 11 January 1861 as Yarra Flats and was renamed Yarra Glen in 1889 when the railway arrived. The now National Trust-listed Yarra Glen Grand Hotel was established in 1888. Its four story Italianate tower was added subsequent to the construction of the original hotel building.
The Black Friday fires of 1939 badly damaged the area around Yarra Glen, as did the fires of 2009.
The town has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Yarra Valley Mountain District Football League.
Yarra Glen has a horse racing club, Yarra Valley Racing, which schedules around nine race meetings a year including the Yarra Glen Cup meeting in March.
Yarra Valley Harness Racing Club conducts regular meetings at its racetrack in the town.
Kinglake is a town in Victoria, Australia, 46 km north-east of Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government areas are the Shires of Murrindindi and Nillumbik. At the 2011 Census, Kinglake had a population of 1,347.
The town was one of the worst affected areas during the Black Saturday bushfires in 2009
Kinglake, comprising forest, farmland, a national park and a township, is located 57 km north east of Melbourne, in the Kinglake Ranges, part of the Great Dividing Range. The Kinglake Ranges vary in height from 525 m - 610 m above sea level. Many areas of Kinglake overlook the Melbourne skyline to the south west and the Yarra Valley wineries to the south. Kinglake is generally 3 °C colder than Metropolitan Melbourne, with the summers being very pleasant and heavy frosts and occasional snowfalls during winter.
Gold was discovered in 1861 on Mount Slide to the east of the locality at an area which became known as Mountain Rush. A Mountain Rush Post Office opened on 7 May 1862, but closed in January 1863 as the miners moved to other locations.
Kinglake township was established much later and was named after British historian Alexander William Kinglake, whose eight-volume history of the Crimean War had recently been completed.
Kinglake Post Office opened on 14 May 1883. There was also an office at Kinglake East open from 1914 until 1950
Education options that are available to Kinglake residents include the state secondary schools Whittlesea Secondary College and Yea High School. Private secondary schools are also available via numerous bus services that service the township. Primary schools include Kinglake Primary, Middle Kinglake and Kinglake West Primary.
The local Australian Rules football club, known as 'The Lakers', plays in Division 2 of the Yarra Valley Mountain District Football League.
There is also a representative Basketball team that plays in the VJBL (Victorian Junior Basketball Leagues), under the Kinglake Basketball Club's guidance. These teams are also known as 'The Lakers'.
Coldstream is a locality and township within Greater Melbourne beyond the Melbourne metropolitan area Urban Growth Boundary, 36 km north-east from Melbourne's central business district. Its Local Government Area is the Shire of Yarra Ranges. At the 2011 Census, Coldstream had a population of 2,338.
The township developed around the railway station after the railway arrived in 1888, the Post Office opening on 7 February 1889. Prior to that the locality was known as "The Lodge".
In 1909, Dame Nellie Melba bought Coombe Cottage at Coldstream. The house is located at the junction of Maroondah Highway and Melba Highway (named in her honour) and is now the home of Melba's granddaughter.
Coldstream has a local primary school, community centre, landfill and several farms. The Coldstream Timber and Hardware company have premises on Maroondah Highway. Coldstream is also home to the Coldstream Brewery, which opened in June 2007 and has its brewery and restaurant open 7 days a week. It had a railway station that closed to passengers in 1983, but was used for freight purposes up until 1992 when it closed with the buildings being destroyed by fire.
Coldstream Airport is owned by the Doake Family and has been in operation since the early 1960s. It is home to:
- a flying school currently operated by Yarra Valley Flight Training,
- An aero club, the Coldstream Flyers Club,
- ACMA (Australian Centre for Mission Aviation), and
- Many private aircraft.
Coldstream has an active CFA (Country Fire Authority) volunteer fire brigade established after the serious fires of 1962. This was essentially a name change from the Lilydale Rural Fire Brigade originally established in 1939 as the Lilydale Bushfire Brigade, changing its name in 1945 on the establishment of the CFA (Country Fire Authority).
On clear winter mornings Coldstream is one of the coldest places around Melbourne, with the temperature dropping below 0°C (32°F) on several mornings each year (it very rarely drops below 2°C in the centre of Melbourne). Overall, the daily minimum temperatures are even lower than nearby Mount Dandenong despite being much closer to sea level.
The Bureau of Meteorology operates an automatic weather station at Coldstream Airfield. A private automatic weather station is also maintained in the Coldstream Estate.
The Domaine Chandon Australia winery, sister to Domaine Chandon California, a division of Moët & Chandon, is located there.